Dr Jo Rhodes
Dr Jo Rhodes
Senior Lecturer in Management (Leadership and Strategy)
About Dr Jo Rhodes
Senior Lecturer in Management (Leadership and Strategy)
BA Business Studies (upper second class) Manchester, MBA (Manchester), PhD (Cape Town)
Contribution to management education
Dr Jo Rhodes is an experienced post-graduate lecturer who has taught for a number of Australian universities on their MBA and doctoral programmes in onshore, online, and offshore programmes in Australia, Hong Kong, China, and Singapore. She has substantial experience in course design in the areas of competitive and sustainable corporate strategy.
Contribution to management practice
Jo has had extensive management, marketing, strategic planning, and consulting experience in the corporate and not-for-profit sectors in over 10 countries covering Europe, Africa and Asia. She has worked on a diverse range of strategic projects in planning, formulation, and execution, including organisational change; corporate social responsibility; affirmative action, socio-economic development; board leadership and governance; and developing strategies for integrating information communication technologies with marketing to develop micro-business in Sub-Sahara Africa.
- Competitive Advantage Strategies using Value Chain Stakeholder Alliances in China.
- Information Communication Technologies in Social Enterprise Development, and African Women’s rural micro enterprise development
- Rhodes, J., Lok, P., Loh, W., & Cheng, V. (2016). Critical success factors in relationship management for services outsourcing. Service Business, 10(1), 59-86. DOI: 10.1007/s11628-014-0256-8
- Najmaei, A., Rhodes, J., & Lok. P. (2014), Exploring the dynamism of complementarities in executives' business modelling knowledge structures: Insights from Australian strategic leaders. Journal of Strategy and Management, 7(4), 398-421.
- Rhodes, J., Lok, P., & Cheng, V. (2014). A framework for successful network alliances for SMEs in China. International Journal of Strategic Business Alliances, 3(2/3), 201-220.
- Rhodes, J., Bergstrom, B., Lok, P. & Cheng, V. (2014), A framework for stakeholder engagement and sustainable development in MNCs. Journal of Global Responsibility, 5(1),82-103.
- Chang, V., Rhodes, J., & Lok, P. (2013). The mediating effect of brand trust between online customer reviews and willingness to buy. Journal of Electronic Commerce in Organizations, 11(1), 22-42.
- Rhodes, J., Lok, P., Yang, S., & Xia, Y. Q. (2011). The effects of organizational intangible factors on successful enterprise resource planning systems implementation and organizational performance: A China experience. Asian Business & Management, 10(2), 287-317.
- Lok, P., Rhodes, J., & Westwood, R. (2011). The Mediating role of organizational subcultures in health care organizations. Journal of Health, Organization and Management, 25(5), 506-525.
- Cheng, V., Rhodes, J., & Lok, P. (2010). A framework for strategic decision making and performance among Chinese managers. International Journal Of Human Resource Management, 21(9), 1373-1395.
- Rhodes, J. (2009). A Strategic Framework for Rural Micro-Enterprise Development: The Integration of Information Communication Technology (ICT), E-Commerce, Marketing and Actor-Network Theory. Perspectives on Global Development and Technology, 8(1), 48-69.
- Rhodes, J. (2009). Using Actor-Network Theory to Trace an ICT (Telecentre) Implementation Trajectory in an African Women's Micro-Enterprise Development Organization. Information Technologies and International Development, 5(3), 1-20.
- Rhodes, J., Walsh, P., & Lok, P. (2008). Convergence and divergence issues in strategic management - Indonesia's experience with the balanced scorecard in HR management. International Journal Of Human Resource Management,19(6), 1170-1185.
- Rhodes, J., Lok, P., Hung, R. Y., & Fang, S. (2008). An integrative model of organizational learning and social capital on effective knowledge transfer and perceived organizational performance. Journal of Workplace Learning: Employee Counselling Today, 20(4), 245-258.
- Rhodes, J., Hung, R., Lok, P., Lien, B. Y., & Wu, C. (2008). Factors influencing organizational knowledge transfer: implication for corporate performance. Journal of Knowledge Management, 12(3), 84-100.
- Lok, P., Rhodes, J., Diamond, A., & Nitin, B. (2008). The Six Sigma approach in performance management to improve safety culture at work. International Journal of Six Sigma and Competitive Advantage, 4(2), 151-171.
- Cheng, V., Rhodes, J., & Lok, P. (2015). The relationship between online reviews, brand trust, and willingness to buy. In M. Khosrow-Pour (Ed.), Strategic E-Commerce Systems and Tools for Competing in the Digital Marketplace (pp. 139-161). Hershey, PA: IGI Global. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-4666-8133-0.ch007
- Najmaei, A., Rhodes, J., & Lok, P. (2015). A practice-based view of business modeling: cognition and knowledge in action. In T. K. Das (Ed.), The Practice of Behavioural Strategy (pp. 77-104). (Research in Behavioral Strategy). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Rhodes, J. (2005). "South African Women's Rural Development and E-Commerce". In S. Marxhall, S. W. Taylor., & X. Yu (Eds.),Encyclopaedia of Developing Regional Communities with Information and Communication Technology (pp. 646-652). London: Idea Group Publishing.
- Rhodes, J., Lok, P., Sadeghinejad, Z. (2016). The Impact of Metacognitive Knowledge and Experience on Top Management Team Diversity and Small to Medium Enterprises Performance. Proceedings of 18th International Conference on Business, Economics, Finance and Management Sciences ICBEFMS 2016 (pp. 2444). London, UK: World Academy of Science WASET.
- Rhodes, J., Cheng, V., Lok, P. (2015). A Framework for Consumer Selection on Travel Destinations. Proceedings of 17th International Conference on Business Management ICBM 2015 (pp. 1361). London, UK: World Academy of Science WASET.
- Najmaei, A., Rhodes, J., Lok, P., & Sadeghinejad, Z. (2014), Genesis of Entrepreneur Business Models in New Ventures. XII International Conference on Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Development. (pp. 1257-1263). London, UK: WUSET.
- Najmaei, A., Rhodes, J., Lok, P. & Sadeghinejad, Z. (2014). Modelling the Determinants and Consequences of Business Model Innovation in Small Firms. Proceedings of 2014 Academy of Management Conference (pp. 1-1). Philadelphia, USA: Academy of Management AoM.
- Bergstrom, B., Rhodes, J., Lok, P., & Cheng, V. (2014). Key factors for stakeholder engagement and sustainable development. 8th International Science Conference (pp. 848-858). Stockholm, Sweden: World Academy of Science WASET.
- Rhodes, J., Loh, W., & Lok, P. (2013).Success in relationship management with service providers in outsourcing. 3rdInternational Network of Business and Management (INBAM) Conference (pp. 1-42). Lisbon, Portugal: International Network of Business and Management Journals.
- Cheng, V., Rhodes, J., & Lok, P. (2012). Online customer reviews and willingness to purchase : brand trust as a mediating variable. 38th EIBA International Business Academy Conference (pp. 1-30). Brighton, UK: Sussex University.
- Rhodes, J., & Ng'ambi, R. (2012). Migrating a face-to-face MBA course to a blended pedagogy approach. 7th International Conference on e-Learning (ICEL) (pp. 1-1). Reading, UK: The Chinese University of Hong Kong: School of Continuing and Professional Studies.
- Lok, P., Rhodes, J., & Walters, D. (2011). The Development of a strategic alliances framework to sustain growth in emerging economies. 37th EIBA Annual Conference (pp. 1-24). Bucharest, Romania: EIBA.
- Rhodes, J., Lok, P., & Walters, D. (2011). The success of strategic alliance network in emerging economics in the post economic crisis environment. Globalization, Sustainability and Development Global Management conference. Budapest, Hungary: Global Academic Network (Canada) & Szent Istvan University (Hungary).
- Rhodes, J. H., Lok, P., Yang, S., & Bambacas, M. (2009). Resource Based View of Intangibles on ERP Systems Implementation and Organisational Performance in China. International Strategic Management Conference (pp. 199-209). Stellenbosch, South Africa: Stellenbosch Institute for Advanced Study.
- Lok, P., & Rhodes, J. (2008). The convergence of Japanese human resource practices in Asian subsidiaries: a comparative analysis of its effectiveness with Western HR practices. Academy of World Business, Marketing and Management Development Conference (pp. 800-810). Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Rhodes, J., & Lok, P. (2008). The Influence of organizational learning and social network behaviour on corporate performance. Academy of World Business, Marketing and Management Development Conference (pp. 811-821). Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Rhodes, J., & Lok, P. (2007). Transferability of best practices: challenges for Asian Business systems. UNESCO conference: From Shanghai to Bangalore: Reappraising Business Models(pp. 35-42). Paris, France: IRSAM, UNESCO.
- Lok, P., & Rhodes, J. (2007). The effect of organizational variables on knowledge sharing innovations and organizational performance. European Conference on Knowledge Management (pp. 585-592). Barcelona, Spain: Consorci Escola Industrial de Barcelona (CEIB).
- Rhodes, J. H., Lok, P., Hung, R. Y., & Fang, S. (2007). The relative impact of social capital and organizational learning on knowledge transfer in organizations. International Conference on Intellectual Capital, Knowledge Management and Organizational Learning (pp. 367-374). Cape Town, South Africa: Academic Conferences, Ltd.
- Lok, P., Walsh, P., & Rhodes, J. (2005). The influence of Strategy, Leadership and Management in the implementation of a performance management system using an automated information system (IS). European Conference on IS management, Leadership and Governance (pp. 75-86). Reading, United Kingdom: University of Reading.