Professor Masud Behnia
Professor Masud Behnia
Professor in Management (Operations)
About Professor Masud Behnia
Professor in Management (Operations)
- Operations & Technology
- Operations Management
Research Area Affiliations
- Operations Management
Masud Behnia has worked in experimental and numerical fluid mechanics and heat transfer for over 25 years. He has, in particular, extensively studied two-phase flow systems using experiments and CFD simulations. He has substantial experience in validating numerical results by comparison with experimental data. Results of his research have been widely published in journals and conferences and his career total publications include more than 350 refereed papers.
Over the years Professor Behnia has been collaborating with a number of international research institutes and universities (e.g., Tohoku University, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Kyushu University, CNRS, Max Planck Institute, University of Rome, Stanford University, NASA). In 1996-97 he was a visiting professor at Stanford University and in 2000 he was invited as a Monbusho Professor at Kyushu University, and in 2002 he held a similar position at Tohoku University. In 2000 he was awarded a Universitas 21 professorial fellowship to carry out a collaborative research project in two-phase flow with the Chemical Engineering Department, Auckland University.
In collaboration with the Center for Turbulence Research at Stanford University, he has worked extensively on turbulence models for complex industrial flows. He has been involved in developing a novel turbulence model capable of accurately predicting complex three-dimensional flows. He has also been actively involved in consulting Australian and overseas industry on flow and thermal problems. He has successfully supervised more than 30 postgraduate research students and numerous Honours students. He has been invited as a keynote speaker at several international conferences and has served on numerous organising and scientific advisory committees of conferences and professional bodies in Australia and the US. Most recently, in 2004, he was the chairman and organiser of the 15th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference.
He is a Fellow of the Institution of Engineers (Aust) and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. In 1995 he was awarded the Tokyo Institute of Technology Memorial Grant Award. For his contribution to development of novel courses in two-phase flow and heat transfer he was awarded the 1997 UNSW Vice Chancellor’s Teaching Excellence Award. In recognition of his research he was awarded the International Fluid Science Foundation Award in Japan in 2004. The Award citation states that “the award was presented to Masud Behnia for his internationally outstanding contribution to fluid science through his distinguished research accomplishment in thermal engineering”.
- Meybodi, M. A., Gibson, C. A., & Behnia, M. (2017). A methodology and assessment for the viability of trigeneration systems to reduce emissions. International Journal of Global Warming, 11(2), 201-225. DOI: 10.1504/IJGW.2017.082180
- Fakhim, B., Nagarathinam, S., Armfield, S. W., & Behnia, M. (2017). Thermal management issues in operational data centers: Computational fluid dynamics analysis and experimental study. Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications, 9(3), . DOI: 10.1115/1.4035943
- Tan, L., Wong, K., Connor, D., Fakhim, B., Behnia, M., & Parsi, K. (2017). Generation of sclerosant foams by mechanical methods increases the foam temperature. Phlebology, 32(7), 501-505. DOI: 10.1177/0268355516671625
- Javadzadegan, A., Simmons, A., Behnia, M., & Barber, T. (2017). Computational modelling of abdominal aortic aneurysms: Effect of suprarenal vs infrarenal positions. European Journal of Mechanics, B/Fluids, 61, 112-124. DOI: 10.1016/j.euromechflu.2016.09.018
- Javadzadegan, A., Yong, A. S. C., Chang, M., Ng, M. K. C., Behnia, M., & Kritharides, L. (2017). Haemodynamic assessment of human coronary arteries is affected by degree of freedom of artery movement. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 20(3), 260-272. DOI: 10.1080/10255842.2016.1215439
- Tamaddon, H., Behnia, M., Behnia, M., & Kritharides, L. (2016). A new approach to blood flow simulation in vascular networks. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 19(6), 673-685. DOI: 10.1080/10255842.2015.1058926
- Gibson, C. A., Meybodi, M. A., & Behnia, M. (2016). A methodology to compare combined heat and power systems operating under emissions reduction policies considering biomass co-fired, coal- and natural gas-fuelled steam turbines. Energy Efficiency, 9(6), 1271-1297. DOI: 10.1007/s12053-016-9423-1
- Gibson, C. A., Meybodi, M. A., & Behnia, M. (2016). A methodology to compare the economic feasibility of fuel cell-, gas turbine- and microturbine-based combined heat and power systems. International Journal of Energy Research, 40(7), 983-1008. DOI: 10.1002/er.3495
- Wong, K., Chen, T., Connor, D. E., Behnia, M., & Parsi, K. (2015). Basic physiochemical and rheological properties of detergent sclerosants. Phlebology, 30(5), 339-349. DOI: 10.1177/0268355514529271
- Shaeri, M. R., Jen, T. C., Yuan, C. Y., & Behnia, M. (2015). Investigating atomic layer deposition characteristics in multi-outlet viscous flow reactors through reactor scale simulations. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 89, 480-481. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2015.05.079
- Gibson, C. A., Meybodi, M. A., & Behnia, M. (2015). Combined heat and power system optimisation under carbon pricing policy: a comparison of five carbon markets. International Journal of Global Warming, 8(3), 375-400. DOI: 10.1504/IJGW.2015.072660
- Al-Waked, R., Nasif, M. S., Morrison, G., & Behnia, M. (2015). CFD simulation of air to air enthalpy heat exchanger: variable membrane moisture resistance. Applied Thermal Engineering, 84, 301-309. DOI: 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2015.03.067
- Valenzuela, G. C., Wong, K., Connor, D. E., Behnia, M., & Parsi, K. (2014). Schaumsklerosierungsmittel sind bei geringeren temperaturen stabiler. Vasomed, 26(2), 112.
- Srinarayana, N., Fakhim, B., Behnia, M., & Armfield, S. W. (2014). Thermal performance of an air-cooled data center with raised-floor and non-raised-floor configurations. Heat Transfer Engineering, 35(4), 384-397. DOI: 10.1080/01457632.2013.828559
- Mohamed, M. F., King, S., Behnia, M., & Prasad, D. (2014). The effects of balconies on the natural ventilation performance of cross-ventilated high-rise buildings. Journal of Green Building, 9(2), 145-160. DOI: 10.3992/1943-4618-9.2.145
- Javadzadegan, A., Fakhim, B., Behnia, M., & Behnia, M. (2014). Fluid-structure interaction investigation of spiral flow in a model of abdominal aortic aneurysm. European Journal of Mechanics, B/Fluids, 46, 109-117. DOI: 10.1016/j.euromechflu.2014.02.011
- Gibson, C. A., Meybodi, M. A., & Behnia, M. (2014). Investigation of a gas turbine CHP system under the carbon price in Australia considering natural gas and biogas fuels. Applied Thermal Engineering, 68(1-2), 26-35. DOI: 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2014.04.002
- Fakhim, B., Srinarayana, N., Behnia, M., & Armfield, S. W. (2013). Thermal performance of data centers-rack level Analysis. IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, 3(5), 792-799. . DOI: 10.1109/TCPMT.2013.2248195
- Behnia, M., Powell, S., Fallen, L., Tamaddon, H., & Behnia, M. (2013). Correlation of stroke volume measurement between sonosite portable echocardiogram and edwards flotrac sensor-vigileo monitor in an intensive care unit. Clinical Medicine Insights: Circulatory, Respiratory and Pulmonary Medicine, 7(1), 45-51. DOI: 10.4137/CCRPM.S12498
- Yong, A., Pennings, G., Wong, C., Javadzadegan, A., Brieger, D., Lowe, H., ... Kritharides, L. (2013). Intracoronary upregulation of platelet extracellular matrix metalloproteinase inducer (CD147) in coronary disease. International Journal of Cardiology, 166(3), 716-721. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2011.11.093
- Valenzuela, G. C., Wong, K., Connor, D. E., Behnia, M., & Parsi, K. (2013). Foam sclerosants are more stable at lower temperatures. European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, 46(5), 593-599. DOI: 10.1016/j.ejvs.2013.08.012
- Nasif, M. S., Al-Waked, R., Behnia, M., & Morrison, G. (2013). Air to air fixed plate enthalpy heat exchanger, performance variation and energy analysis. Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 27(11), 3541-3551. DOI: 10.1007/s12206-013-0872-6
- Nagarathinam, S., Fakhim, B., Behnia, M., & Armfield, S. (2013). A comparison of parametric and multivariable optimization techniques in a raised-floor data center. Journal of Electronic Packaging, Transactions of the ASME, 135(3), 1-8. . DOI: 10.1115/1.4023214
- Meybodi, M. A., & Behnia, M. (2013). Australian coal mine methane emissions mitigation potential using a stirling engine-based CHP system. Energy Policy, 62, 10-18. DOI: 10.1016/j.enpol.2013.07.040
- Maruyama, S., Behnia, M., Chisaki, M., Kogawa, T., Okajima, J., & Komiya, A. (2013). Large eddy simulation of the diffusion process of nutrient-rich up-welled seawater. Frontiers in Heat and Mass Transfer, 4(2), 1-6. . DOI: 10.5098/hmt.v4.2.3002
- Javadzadegan, A., Shimizu, Y., Behnia, M., & Ohta, M. (2013). Correlation between Reynolds number and eccentricity effect in stenosed artery models. Technology and Health Care, 21(4), 357-367. DOI: 10.3233/THC-130736
- Javadzadegan, A., Yong, A. S. C., Chang, M., Ng, A. C. C., Yiannikas, J., Ng, M. K. C., ... Kritharides, L. (2013). Flow recirculation zone length and shear rate are differentially affected by stenosis severity in human coronary arteries. American Journal of Physiology - Heart and Circulatory Physiology, 304(4), H559-H566. DOI: 10.1152/ajpheart.00428.2012
- Gibson, C. A., Meybodi, M. A., & Behnia, M. (2013). Optimisation and selection of a steam turbine for a large scale industrial CHP (combined heat and power) system under Australia's carbon price. Energy, 61, 291-307. DOI: 10.1016/j.energy.2013.08.045
- Cameron, E., Chen, T., Connor, D. E., Behnia, M., & Parsi, K. (2013). Sclerosant foam structure and stability is strongly influenced by liquid air fraction. European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, 46(4), 488-494. DOI: 10.1016/j.ejvs.2013.07.013
- Badra, J., Masri, A. R., & Behnia, M. (2013). Enhanced transient heat transfer from arrays of jets impinging on a moving plate. Heat Transfer Engineering, 34(4), 361-371. DOI: 10.1080/01457632.2013.717046
- Al-Waked, R., Nasif, M. S., Morrison, G., & Behnia, M. (2013). CFD simulation of air to air enthalpy heat exchanger. Energy Conversion and Management, 74, 377-385. DOI: 10.1016/j.enconman.2013.05.038
- Javadzadegan, A., Yong, A. S. C., Kritharides, L., & Behnia, M. (2013). Lesion eccentricity and fractional flow reserve and coronary flow reserve in coronary arteries. In A. Öchsner, & H. Altenbach (Eds.), Advances in bio-mechanical systems and materials (pp. 1-6). (Advanced structured materials; Vol. 40). Switzerland: Springer. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-00479-2_1
- Wong, K., Chen, T., Connor, D. E., Behnia, M., & Parsi, K. (2014). Computational fluid dynamics of liquid and foam sclerosant injection in a vein model. In Advances in computational mechanics (pp. 293-298). (Applied Mechanics and Materials; Vol. 553). Zurich, Switzerland: Trans Tech Publications. DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.553.293
- Payami, S. P., Behnia, M., Dixon, B., Santamaria, J., & Behnia, M. (2014). Numerical simulation of flow, heat and moisture transfer in heat and moisture exchanger (HME) devices. In Advances in computational mechanics (pp. 121-129). (Applied Mechanics and Materials; Vol. 553). Zurich, Switzerland: Trans Tech Publications. DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.553.121
- Javadzadegan, A., Fakhim, B., Nakkas, R. T., & Behnia, M. (2014). Fluid-structure interaction analysis on the effects of bifurcation angle asymmetry in a left main coronary artery model. In G. P. Steven, Q. Li, & Z. . L. Zhang (Eds.), Advances in Computational Mechanics (Vol. 553, pp. 316-321). (Applied Mechanics and Materials; Vol. 553). Switzerland: Trans Tech Publications. DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.553.316
- Fakhim, B., Javadzadegan, A., Nakkas, R. T., & Behnia, M. (2014). Effect of stenosis eccentricity in a model of bifurcated coronary artery. In Advances in Computational Mechanics (Vol. 553, pp. 332-337). (Applied Mechanics and Materials; Vol. 553). Switzerland: Trans Tech Publications. DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.553.332
- Fakhim, B., Baloch, F. R., Behnia, M., & Armfield, S. (2014). Second law analysis of small data centre airspace. In Proceedings of the 19th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference (pp. 1-4). Melbourne, Australia: Australasian Fluid Mechanics Society.
- Fakhim, B., Baloch, F. R., Nagarathinam, S., Behnia, M., & Armfield, S. (2014). Thermal management of data centres-effect of CRAC location and flow rate on the performance of data centres. In Applied mechanics and materials (pp. 130-137). (Applied Mechanics and Materials; Vol. 553). Zurich, Switzerland: Trans Tech Publications. DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.553.130
- Shimizu, Y., Kuze, M., Javadzadegan, A., Behnia, M., & Ohta, M. (2013). Comparison of flow patterns around stenotic area in elastic PVA-H model and in rigid-like silicone model. In PIV13; 10th International Symposium on Particle Image Velocimetry The Netherlands: Delft University.
- Ibuki, R., & Behnia, M. (2013). Optimization of air flow circulation with branching perforating duct and fan system. In R. Suay (Ed.), Ist International Symposium on CFD Applications in Agriculture (pp. 241-247). (Acta Horticulturae; Vol. 1008). Leuven, Belgium: International Society for Horticultural Science. DOI: 10.17660/ActaHortic.2013.1008.32
- Gibson, C. A., Meybodi, M. A., & Behnia, M. (2013). The impact of Australia's carbon price on the optimisation and selection of gas turbine CHP systems. In Energy (Vol. 6A, pp. 1-6). New York: American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). DOI: 10.1115/IMECE2013-63040