Professor Susan Ellis
Professor Susan Ellis
Professor of Management
About Dr Susan Ellis
Professor of Management
BA (Hons) North Carolina, MA North Carolina, PhD Rice
- Marketing & Strategic Management
Contribution to management education
Contribution to management practice
Susan began her professional career in market research, then moved into advertising and finally client side into fast moving consumer goods (FMCG) where among other responsibilities she ran a $300 million business while at The Coca-Cola Company. After her return to university as a mature-age PhD student she continued to consult to business and government. She still consults, most commonly to larger organisations with rapidly changing or otherwise unstable competitive environments.
- Strategy and competition
- Making strategy implementation more effective and efficient
- Aligning business strategy and marketing strategy
- Gudergan, S. P., Devinney, T. M., & Ellis, R. S. (2016). Cooperation and compliance in non-equity alliances. Journal of Business Research, 69(5), 1759-1764. DOI: 10.1016/j.jbusres.2015.10.051
- Gudergan, S. P., Devinney, T., Richter, N. F. & Ellis, R. S. (2012). Strategic implications for (non-equity) alliance performance. Long Range Planning, 45(5-6), 451-476.
- Ellis, R. S., Fine, B., & Xu, D. (2008). Enter the online dragon – with caution. Australasian Journal of Market & Social Research, 16(2), 5-19.
- Gudergan, S. P., & Ellis, R. S. (2007). The link between perceived service value and customer satisfaction. Journal of Customer Behaviour, 6(3), 249-267.
- Ellis, R. S. (2006). Dealing with information overload. Australasian Journal of Market & Social Research, 14(2), 39-46.
- Ellis, R. S., Johnson, L. W., & Gudergan, S. P. (2005). The relationship between non-queue pre-process waiting time and service satisfaction. International Journal of Services Technology and Management, 6(1), 91-100.
- Gudergan, S. P., & Ellis, R. S. (2003). The effects of globalisation and technology on economic and social organisations. International Journal of the Humanities, 1, 67-72.
- Ellis, R. S., & van Druten, K. (2002). Internal market research: oxymoron or good business? Australasian Journal of Market Research, 10(2), 13-24.
- Ellis, R. S., Gudergan, S. P., & Johnson, L. W. (2001). Through the looking glass: an agency theoretic foundation for the satisfaction mirror. Journal of Customer Satisfaction/Dissatisfaction & Complaining Behavior, 14, 120-124.
- Ellis, R. S. (2008). Online market research in China: a cautionary note. In Hair, J., Lukas, B., Miller, K., Bush, R., & Ortinau, D., Marketing Research (3rd edition). McGraw-Hill Australia & New Zealand.
- Gudergan, S. P., Devinney, T., & Ellis, R. S. (2002). An integrated framework of alliance governance and performance. In Trick, M. A. (ed.), Growing the International Firm: Success in Mergers, Acquisitions, Networks and Alliances, Carnegie Mellon University Press. Pittsburgh PA: Carnegie Mellon University Press.
- Johnson, L. W., & Ellis, R. S. (1993). When to employ a practice manager. In Hayes, R., & Sanderson, L. (eds), Group Practice: Finding the Right Prescription. Department of Health, Housing, Local Government and Community Services.
- Ellis, R. S. (1990). Ratings of teachers by their students should be used wisely -- or not at all. In Barnes, S. H. (ed), Points of View on American High Education: A Selection of Essays from The Chronicle of Higher Education (1). Lewiston, New York: The Edwin Mellon Press, 166-170.
- Johnson, L. W., Ellis, R. S., & Gudergan, S. P. (2007). The integrated internal-external satisfaction mirror. 2007 Academy of Marketing Science Conference, Coral Gables FL (USA).
- Ellis, R. S., Gudergan, S. P., & Johnson, L. W. (2005). Social psychological underpinnings of the satisfaction mirror. ANZMAC 2005 Conference, Fremantle.
- Bridges, E., Ellis, R. S., & Johnson, L. W. (2003). Perceived quality and customer satisfaction with services. Fifth Australasian Services Research Workshop, Melbourne.
- Ellis, R. S., Bridges, E., & Johnson, L. W. (2002). Individual differences in the quality-satisfaction relationship. ANZMAC 2002 Conference, Melbourne.
- Ellis, R. S., & Gudergan, S. P. (2001). Rethinking the satisfaction mirror: a social psychology assessment of its strength. European Marketing Academy Conference, Bergen (Norway).
- Ellis, R. S., Gudergan, S. P., & Johnson, L. W. (2000). The satisfaction mirror as a principal-agent problem. ANZMAC 2000 Conference, Gold Coast (Australia).
- Gudergan, S. P., & Ellis, R. S. (1999). “Partner effort in marketing alliances: the role of compliance. Conference on the Metamorphosis of Organizations: Shaping Competences to Develop and Control the Relational Firm, Nancy (France).